mitxela.com forum
Welcome. Please log in or register.

New version of the clock forthcoming?
pfish Posted: 23 Nov 2022, 07:11 AM
internet denizen

On the Automatic LED page, you wrote in early 2021 that you were working on yet another rev of the precision clock. I am considering getting the kit to build one. Is the new version close enough to completion that I should wait for its release, or is it far enough in the future that I should just go for the current one?

Either is fine—I understand how projects come and go—I just want to make sure I don’t buy v2.5 right before you drop the snazzy new v3 (v4?).

Thank you!

-------------
[top]
mit Posted: 23 Nov 2022, 06:11 PM
yeah whatever

Admin
Hello! Well observed.

The short answer is that I won't be releasing the new version particularly soon.

The new design (which I'm calling Mk IV) is pretty much finished, and has been for well over a year. The problem is that I designed it using STM32 chips, which were perfectly available back when I did the board design, but now are very difficult to get hold of. The global chip shortage has pretty much put a hold on that design.

The sensible thing to do would be to redesign the clock using available parts, but I sank so much time and effort into the Mk IV that I can't bring myself to do it.

Instead, I can get the parts from dodgy sellers in China for about 5 to 10 times their normal price. I have been considering releasing the new clock with a probably ludicrous price tag, that would reflect how much the parts now cost. I'm not sure quite how much it would be, but certainly a lot more than the current kit.

Regardless, I'm not expecting to release it within at least the next three months.

-------------
[top]

Sign in to post a reply.