mitxela.com forum
Welcome. Please log in or register.

Drawers - design files?
psmears Posted: 28 Jul 2020, 11:18 AM

Hi,

Are the designs for the matchbox-like component drawers shown on this page available anywhere?

https://mitxela.com/projects/laser_cutter

I've searched on the site and couldn't find them, but they'd be really useful! Would be great if you could publish them in some form or other :)

Cheers,

Patrick

-------------
[top]
mit Posted: 29 Jul 2020, 01:59 PM
yeah whatever

Admin
Hi,

I can probably dig the design files out, I must have them somewhere.

They'll be in moshidraw format though, not sure how useful that's going to be.

-------------
[top]
psmears Posted: 29 Jul 2020, 03:11 PM

QUOTE (mit)
I can probably dig the design files out, I must have them somewhere.

That would be great, thanks!

QUOTE (mit)
They'll be in moshidraw format though, not sure how useful that's going to be.

That's fine - I'm sure I can come up with some way of converting them to something I can use :)

Cheers,

Patrick

-------------
[top]
mit Posted: 31 Jul 2020, 11:05 AM
yeah whatever

Admin
OK, found the files, stuck them here: http://mitxela.com/~laserDrawers

The drawers2 files are the ones shown in the pictures, that go together without glue. It's a bit of a gimmick, I think the ones I glued together feel less flimsy.

The mdr files are readable in notepad, but honestly it might be fastest to just redraw them in inkscape or whatever.

(User posted image)

(User posted image)

-------------
[top]
psmears Posted: 31 Jul 2020, 11:51 AM

That's fantastic, thanks so much :-)

-------------
[top]
psmears Posted: 5 Apr 2024, 04:15 PM

OK it's only 4 years later, but I've finally got round to making one of these (I fairly quickly put together a script to convert the files to SVG, then Logistical Reasons meant I wasn't able to actually use the converted files to make anything. But now I have.)

I made this with a cutting machine (ie one using a blade rather than a laser), and I think the cardboard I used may be a bit thicker - so the design probably needs a little tweaking to accommodate. But the first attempt is definitely usable!

(User posted image)

-------------
[top]
mit Posted: 6 Apr 2024, 09:56 AM
yeah whatever

Admin
Nice! I appreciate the update.

I had an idea to 3D print a holder for razor blades, to make an improvised stamp that could just be pressed against card to make more of the drawers. It feels like there must be an easy way to produce a few hundred cutouts of the same design. Then again, if you can get it reliable with the cutting machine maybe that's good enough. The problem with the laser is that I have to stand over it as it runs, since it could catch fire, and also loading the next bit of card is manual whereas a vinyl cutter could load a whole roll. Hmm.

-------------
[top]

Sign in to post a reply.