mitxela.com forum
Welcome. Please log in or register.

UTC switch
rtphokie Posted: 25 Sep 2021, 10:11 PM

I'd like to add a switch to my precision clock to easily put it in UTC mode. Any suggestions on one that would fit nicely? What specs should I look for (presumably something that handle 5V)? Any suggestions on where to buy (I miss Radio Shack)?

-------------
[top]
mit Posted: 26 Sep 2021, 09:01 AM
yeah whatever

Admin
Pretty much any switch will work. You don't need to worry about voltage or current rating at all, since it's only grounding a weakly pulled signal.

You could go for a small slide switch, which could be glued onto the clock so the lever just protrudes slightly. If it has three pins, just connect the middle pin and one of the side pins.

(User posted image)

Or you could get a panel-mount toggle switch, and mount it on a bracket, or even a separate control panel some distance away from the clock. These come in lots of different sizes, the subminiature type is probably most appropriate.

(User posted image)

I wouldn't bother trying to order from a real distributor for something like this. In the UK we still have RS Components which was a little like Radioshack, but even RS have joined the other distributors in having a minimum order threshold to get free postage.

However all of these switches are easily available on Amazon, eBay, Aliexpress and similar sites.

You could even go for a comedy "missile switch" cover:

(User posted image)

Wouldn't want to accidentally enable UTC mode...

-------------
[top]

Sign in to post a reply.