mitxela.com forum
Welcome. Please log in or register.

Stylocard in PCB ruler form with extensions
Chris_147 Posted: 5 Jun 2018, 07:20 PM

Hi,

I really like your StyloCard project!
It started me to think about creating a version as branding material for my company, but in a ruler form.
First I thought about a simple PCB ruler with my logo on it.
But then I thought it would be so much cooler to have working PCB ruler!
Perhaps some form between a BBC Micro:bit and your StyloCard.

So a pcb of 15x3 cm with:
- ruler of 15 cm on one side
- stylophone on the opposite or back side
- USB connector in one of the corners
- a 5x5 LED grid
- accelerometer
- Arduino or ATtiny85 or other microcpu
- ???

I would like to keep the max cost per item at 15€. Do you think this is possible?
Do you have any recommendations

-------------
[top]
mit Posted: 7 Jun 2018, 12:06 AM
yeah whatever

Admin
Hi, glad you like it. Making a ruler/stylocard combo might work, one problem is if there are lots of components on the PCB it won't sit flat on a desk which would make it less useful as a ruler. Depending on how much stuff you want to stick on it, it could get expensive, unless you're willing to order a large batch of them. I guess the type of person who would want a PCB ruler would have no problem finding a crocodile clip to use as a stylus, so there's a bonus.

I am talking to manufacturers to get the stylocard produced in bulk, so hopefully it will be available for purchase at a reasonable price soon. The main sticking point is I haven't decided what the best solution for the stylus is.

-------------
[top]
Chris_147 Posted: 7 Jun 2018, 08:11 AM

Thanks for the reply!
I found a guy who has some experience creating similar things and would like to do this as a side project.
We're thinking of using a ready-made Arduino Micro board and sticking that on a separate PCB ruler, just to save the cost.
Maybe also add an ESP-01 or 07 for Wifi. We're just going crazy now, and then strip what makes it too expensive to give away.

Do you have schematics of the StyloCard? (I understand if you want to keep them, especially if you want to sell it)
I don't have experience with the ATtiny85, but it seems very limited in its IO. So I think every pin is already used on the StyloCard?

I would be very interested in buying a few StyloCards, or perhaps a larger version?

-------------
[top]
mit Posted: 8 Jun 2018, 09:50 PM
yeah whatever

Admin
The ATtiny85 is great because it's cheap but it is limited if you want to do other things.

The schematic is very simple, just a bunch of resistors really. It is based on the Stylophone Studio 5 project by WaitingForFriday linked to on the main stylocard page, he explains the choice of resistor values very clearly.

-------------
[top]

Sign in to post a reply.