mitxela.com forum
Welcome. Please log in or register.

Solder for the Precision Clock
hightechhobo Posted: 15 May 2020, 04:07 PM

THANK YOU for the extremely detailed assembly instructions for the Precision Clock. My order is in the queue and I hope it can be filled with the parts shipment you are expecting in mid-May. You revealed what type of soldering iron you use, but didn't specify the type and size of solder. From what I've seen online, Kester is the brand to go with but they make a myriad of products. I'm presuming a 63/37 solder, but what size wire? Thanks for your help.

-------------
[top]
mit Posted: 15 May 2020, 08:46 PM
yeah whatever

Admin
Hi, good question, a few people have asked me that.

The exact solder I used in the video is 62Sn/36Pb/2Ag (that is, leaded with 2% silver) and the diameter is 0.015". The silver content makes the joints look very shiny, which looks good on the video, but doesn't make any real difference electrically.

I go with the thinnest wire I can get, but that's because I do a lot of small stuff, it won't make a difference for the clock kit.

Pretty much any solder should be fine, though. Lead-free solder will work fine, the joints don't look as shiny but the connection should be perfectly good.

The solder I use has a small amount of flux mixed in (or perhaps coated), this is important to get a good joint. You can also get flux-cored solder. Some very cheap solder has no flux, which will cause problems.

However, I've found that soldering problems are usually caused by getting the temperature wrong, or having a dirty soldering iron tip.

There are a million tutorials out there which can tell you more.

-------------
[top]

Sign in to post a reply.