mitxela.com forum
Welcome. Please log in or register.

Selling one of your designs
tellSlater Posted: 31 Jan 2023, 10:47 PM

I have always been inspired by Mit's and other videos on YouTube to work on my own designs. I developed a small web-page where I document my work. Some people were interested in one of my designs and they would like to talk with me but I have no idea what a good deal is, what should I expect and what I should be careful of when making such a deal. If anyone has any advice in that matter, please share it with me!

-------------
[top]
mit Posted: 31 Jan 2023, 11:50 PM
yeah whatever

Admin
It's very hard know what to charge when you are starting out. The first few commissions I did, I charged very little, but it was fun to do something outside of the day job so I didn't really mind. Later I started charging more, but if you ask for too much, often people will just lose interest.

A lot of people have no idea how much time things take, especially since so many consumer goods cost so little. If something takes several days for me to make, it's going to cost a lot more than something mass produced. Occasionally it's a fun and interesting idea, so I make exceptions, but when all they are asking is for me to re-create one of my old projects exactly, I quote accordingly.

I really don't feel all that qualified to answer about selling designs, I mean often there's a choice between a flat fee or a percentage of the profit. I would say to think hard about how successful you think the idea is going to be. If it ends up not making any money at all, will you have worked for free for nothing? If it ends up very successful, but you got paid a flat rate for your time, will that be rewarding enough? It is hard to say.

I have met freelancers who have made a very successful living out of doing what they love. I'm not quite there yet, but it's definitely possible.

-------------
[top]
tellSlater Posted: 1 Feb 2023, 08:24 PM

Thank you for your reply Mit!

I feel like if I sold an idea at a flat price it would suck the morale to work on it off of me. I wouldn't feel like I am working on something I own anymore! But, I guess I need to take it easy and think more on it.

I really enjoyed your latest video btw, hopefully you are having more interesting pub conversations you can turn into video ideas!

-------------
[top]
mit Posted: 21 Apr 2023, 08:47 AM
yeah whatever

Admin
A follow-up to this. Dave Cranmer, who is someone I greatly respect and he builds some awesome things, gave a talk on how to get paid to make things at EMF2022. The recordings have finally been uploaded to youtube, here's his talk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ld1IduPUVU

-------------
[top]
SIL3_NC3 Posted: 23 Feb 2024, 11:03 AM

Hi Mit, I'm interested in the LED Industrial Piercing & wanted to see if it would be possible to order a few in either specifically purple, or possibly each color or as a rainbow in bulk (6, 8, or 10 pack at the least).

Last edit by SIL3_NC3 at 23 Feb 2024, 11:04 AM

-------------
[top]

Sign in to post a reply.