mitxela.com forum
Welcome. Please log in or register.

Question on the Infinity cube design
jhmiii Posted: 11 Dec 2023, 11:45 AM

New to Mitxela and happy to have discovered it.

I plan to repeat the build of the Infinity Cube, but have one question on its design. The embedded rotatable picture shows a hinge in the dead center of the eight cubes. It looks different from all of the other hinges as it seems to span four cubes, while all of the others only span two. This hinge links to the middles of the two long sides of the cube. Is this just two hinges meeting in the center or are the two hinges linked into one hinge spanning the width of the device?

It might just be a drawing artifact joining the two hinges, but I would like to know for certain prior to making a major blunder. (I try my best to avoid major blunders, but they seem to always find me anyway.)

Thanks in advance for any clarification and guidance.

-------------
[top]
mit Posted: 11 Dec 2023, 06:00 PM
yeah whatever

Admin
It's just two hinges meeting in the centre, they are not supposed to be joined. If I had been a little more careful in making that 3D model I'd have put some space between them.

Good luck building it, one thing I should have done is deburr/chamfer the cutouts around the hinges. There is a slightly sharp edge around it. However after playing with the thing for hours it's now worn down and rounded over a little.

Also would recommend making it entirely from stainless if you dare, as the brass does leave a residue on your hands after playing with it for a while.

-------------
[top]
jhmiii Posted: 12 Dec 2023, 11:34 AM

Thanks mit for the quick reply and for all of your fascinating projects! I am looking forward to tackling a few and learning along the way.

-------------
[top]

Sign in to post a reply.