mitxela.com forum
Welcome. Please log in or register.

precision clock segment issues continued
teridon Posted: 10 Dec 2021, 04:08 PM

I posted once before about some problems I had here ( https://mitxela.com/forum/topic/precision-clock-segment-is-faulty-or-i-broke-it )

I thought I had resolved all my issues but I have another problem.

I'm having intermittent issues with one or two digits, just one segment on each. Sometimes they will not light properly. However, when I test the segments with my voltmeter diode function, the segments work just fine. So I do not think the digits themselves are damaged.

Do I just need to reflow the solder joints on those pins, perhaps? I'll admit that the first time I soldered this thing, my soldering iron tip was not properly tinned (soldering noob here). But before I desolder or reflow, I wanted to check if that is the right approach?

-------------
[top]
mit Posted: 13 Dec 2021, 11:21 PM
yeah whatever

Admin
Hi, it does sound like carefully re-soldering the pins might help.

It could also be the solder joints on the display driver chips, but that wouldn't normally cause just one or two segments to fail. Normally, if there is a problem with the driver chip soldering, the entire digit won't light up, or the same segment will be missing from lots of digits.

It might be helpful to look up "IPC soldering" on youtube, there are lots of guides specifically to become qualified at soldering to a certain standard. The key is to get the joint hot enough before adding the solder, but hopefully not so hot as to damage the part. Another thing that might help with cleaning up soldering joints is to manually add extra flux.

-------------
[top]

Sign in to post a reply.