mitxela.com forum
Welcome. Please log in or register.

precision clock segment is faulty (or I broke it?)
teridon Posted: 3 Nov 2021, 10:11 PM

I just built the precision clock from the a kit I bought on your site. Not all the digits worked the first time but reflowing the joints resolved all problems except one -- to make a long story short: The "G" segment of the day-of-month digit does not light.

I tried reflowing the joints on the digit (more than once) and it seemed to start working for a little while -- until I picked up the clock -- at which point it stopped working again (as far as I can tell, permanently!)

I tested all the segments of the digit by using the continuity tone function on my multimeter. All segments of the digit work except for G segment. My meter reports 1.8V for the segments that work, and 2V for the G segment.

So, I've either damaged it with heat or.. it died an early natural death? What are my options here?

-------------
[top]
mit Posted: 4 Nov 2021, 11:11 AM
yeah whatever

Admin
It does sound like that digit is damaged. The best bet is probably to replace the digit.

Irritating that it's the G segment - if it were any other segment, you could just swap that digit with one of the hyphens in the date.

If you send me an email, I can post another digit to you. That way it will come from the same batch. Otherwise, if you buy another one from a random seller, the colour won't quite match (which may or may not bother you).

-------------
[top]
teridon Posted: 15 Nov 2021, 12:11 AM

Received the replacement digit and successfully replaced it. Everything is now working, I think. Thank you!

-------------
[top]

Sign in to post a reply.