mitxela.com forum
Welcome. Please log in or register.

Precision clock GPS not syncing
biegs Posted: 14 Mar 2024, 03:28 PM

My precision clock that I purchased a little over a year ago has been working fine up until the last few days. All that does is shows the time from when I first plug (counts up like a timer)it in doesn’t show the date doesn’t show the months like it never syncs with GPS.
Thanks, Dan

(User posted image)

-------------
[top]
mit Posted: 14 Mar 2024, 10:13 PM
yeah whatever

Admin
Interesting, not sure why it would stop working suddenly.

The first thing I would check, if you're able to, is whether there's any serial data coming from the GPS module. If you have a USB-serial adapter you can listen in on the NMEA data and see debug info about the GPS module.

Does the light on the GPS module still turn on?

Another idea - is it possible there is some nearby electrical equipment that's jamming the GPS? Might be worth moving the clock to another location just to check.

-------------
[top]
biegs Posted: 25 Mar 2024, 03:01 PM

I have tried moving the clock to different locations inside here with no different results. I’ve also tried putting it outside and still the GPS will not connect. The clock just keeps counting up like a timer.

(User posted image)

(User posted image)

-------------
[top]
mit Posted: 26 Mar 2024, 12:18 PM
yeah whatever

Admin
From those pictures it looks like the GPS is working fine. The fact that GPS Fix is blinking means there's nothing wrong with the GPS module or the reception. The problem has to be with the serial connection between the module and the ATtiny.

Can you check the continuity of the GPS serial data? It goes from the pin labelled TX to pin 2 of the ATtiny. (see also the interactive BOM viewer here)

(User posted image)

I'd also say it would be worth using some flux cleaner, there's a lot of residue on the joins and over time that can corrode the metal. Might also make it easier to spot any problems.

-------------
[top]

Sign in to post a reply.