mitxela.com forum
Welcome. Please log in or register.

Practice morse receiving question
CTR3Bob Posted: 27 Mar 2020, 03:41 PM

Hello there, I am an old "ditty bopper" from the USN circa 1969. I came across this web site from a YouTube video and am very happy to find a place where I can practice receiving Morse. It is amazing to me how, even after 50 years I can still copy at a pretty fair clip.
Thank you for providing this fine practice tool!
I am wondering though, is it possible to eliminate the odd "spaces" between random characters in your algorithm? I get almost 100% accuracy except for spaces which for some reason I am not able to distinguish.
Thank you again for this site!

-------------
[top]
mit Posted: 28 Mar 2020, 02:23 PM
yeah whatever

Admin
Hello! Nice to hear people are using it.

I should probably make it ignore extra or missing spaces. I've also been meaning to add a pause/resume feature. Perhaps I'll get round to doing those at some point.

-------------
[top]
CTR3Bob Posted: 30 Mar 2020, 07:30 PM

Thank you Sir!

-------------
[top]
DocDir Posted: 24 Oct 2020, 03:26 PM

I just want to thank you for such a great tool to learn morse code! I'm a newbie and trying to catch up to my 93 year old father who can still do about 15 wpm. So far I can do about 1/2 the alphabet at 6 wpm, so have a ways to go.

What makes this especially great is its adaptability to various learning styles. I wanted something that let me pick the letters to add to my arsenal, and this does that and more. I've started using the RSS feeds, too, to see what I can pick out.

By the way, please do NOT recode the program so it ignores spaces - they are important and, surprisingly, one of the bigger challenges to hear.

This is just a spectacular tool - thanks!

Last edit by DocDir at 24 Oct 2020, 03:28 PM

-------------
[top]
mit Posted: 29 Oct 2020, 04:33 PM
yeah whatever

Admin
Cheers.

I think the problem with spaces is that it's not really clear how long they should be, with the farnsworth method. If the character speed is high, but the overall WPM is slow, how long should the spaces between words be? And is recognizing these extra-long spaces a useful skill?

Best option, if I ever get round to it, would be a checkbox to choose whether it ignores them or not.

-------------
[top]

Sign in to post a reply.