|braeden-young||Posted: 4 Apr 2023, 07:57 PM|
Joined: 19-February 21
|Hey folks, made a midi music box based off Mitxela. Went through a good few iterations on the pins initially attempting to with 2mm brass. |
Used an Arduino Mega, the sketch is still pretty basic.
The box is a bit crunchy still, might remake in the future. Getting some decent music though it seems a bit out of tune.
Instagram : https://www.instagram.com/p/CoyXJ2nPbuU/
Imginn : https://imginn.org/p/CoyXJ2nPbuU/
Full build album : https://photos.app.goo.gl/vy5Y4GoyKvGtJZkDA
|mit||Posted: 4 Apr 2023, 09:42 PM|
Joined: 4-May 16
The 3D-printed fingers seem to work well. Did you have any trouble getting them to the exact thickness? I know someone else tried 3D printing those parts and had to do a lot of sanding to get everything to work smoothly.
The toothed belt is a good idea. When I replaced my direct-drive servo with a belt drive I just used an O-ring, but it's quite sensitive to the tension on it, and slips easily. A toothed belt hopefully solves that problem. I did previously have a look for tiny toothed belts, which definitely exist since I've pulled some fine ones out of old printers and scanners, but all of them were too long and I wasn't sure how to shorten one. And all the new toothed belts I could find were (I thought) too wide to be practical. The one you're using seems to be fine though.
Weird that it went out of tune. I wonder if that was just some damage that happened while you were building it.
Are the brass rods thicker than the ones I used? Did you have trouble fitting them to the servo arms?
Have you tried fitting a contact mic to it?
|braeden-young||Posted: 11 Apr 2023, 05:32 PM|
Joined: 19-February 21
|Thank you! |
I had about 6 iterations getting the fingers right. A slight bit of wiggle room so not too much friction, no need to sand, and still accurate enough to hit to the notes consistently.
Threw it up on Thingiverse : https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5964611
The toothed timing belt I had from a previous project making a hanging drawing plotter, but my attempts to splicing the length to make a belt was far too stiff. I ended up just buying a set aimed at 3d printers. Seems to work well.
My first attempt was using 2mm brass rod - thinking I'd avoid the soldering process... Whelp that ended up rubbing too much, pressing against all proceeding servos. I went with 1mm, and stacked them soldering at a few points down the length. Rigid enough, but still flexible for the cases where a note will fire prior to the pin completely reseting. I originally had to drill out the servo arms for the 2mm stock, the 1 mm fit fine in the preexisting holes.
A contact mic seems like a must. The box resonates well, and the lid dampens the servo noise, but still far too quiet. I may try to remake the box and incorporate an acoustic horn into the base.
Sign in to post a reply.