mitxela.com forum
Welcome. Please log in or register.

Memristors as memory
Pafuri Posted: 23 Dec 2018, 02:33 PM

Hi I'm a fan if Mixtela vids, recently read Tim's last rant post which partially inspires me to continue pursuing a pending project of mine.

I've got a great interest in the practical use of memristors as a type of ROM

Have any of you (Tim especially) thought of how one might use alternating resistance parameters in memristors to code data by setting fluctuations in Ohm levels for O/I in each memristor device in the chip matrix for use in microelectronics or IOT devices? The possibilities of security and encryption are also amazing if implemented with that in mind.

Anyone want to discuss this please reply or email me. pafuriza@gmail.com

-------------
[top]
DAVID Posted: 23 Dec 2018, 08:42 PM
I love mcus

well after looking up what exactly is a memristor i think that it must be controlled with an adc for reading the value of the resistance that taking more time than just using simple transistor binary logic that would only require a simple comparator so in my opinion i don´t see an advantage for using memristors as memory (RAM)

-------------
[top]
DAVID Posted: 23 Dec 2018, 08:44 PM
I love mcus

and if you were talking about using as a type of eeprom, flash memory or other; do we really need way smaller memory size?

Last edit by DAVID at 23 Dec 2018, 08:47 PM

-------------
[top]
mit Posted: 24 Dec 2018, 07:19 PM
yeah whatever

Admin
Hi, I can't say I've ever looked into memristors. I kinda thought they were one of these ghost technologies that sounds cool but isn't really available or practical. Can you actually get them, or is this just theoretical stuff?

-------------
[top]
wtnh Posted: 20 Oct 2019, 03:51 PM

I worked for HP before retiring some 5 years ago, and the memristor thing from HP Labs was always accompanied by much hype. Interesting physics, but hard to see how to use it in practice.

It was invented way back in 1971 - so one wonders: if the concept was great, why haven't we seen more of it?

The Wikipedia article has some good references.

AFAIK, the only company to produce commercial examples is a startup called KNOWM.

If you have US$489. to spare, you can get their "Discovery Kit" here:

https://knowm.org/product/memristor-discovery-kit/

-------------
[top]

Sign in to post a reply.