mitxela.com forum
Welcome. Please log in or register.

Making an expanded shell coin
cealbe Posted: 6 Aug 2020, 10:25 PM

Hi, i saw a few years ago the double sided coin video on youtube, based on that i've explained to a machinist in my country (venezuela) to make a shell coin to fit over another coin with remilled edges.

long story short the guy basically destroyed 6 expensive silver coins (of my country's) and i just did'nt want to try again

what im asking now is some advice if you can of course, so i can explain to another machinist the process to make not only a shell coin but also expanded that fit over any coin of the same denomination. Those coins are used for magic ( i'm a magician).

i have a expanded half dollar coin if you want to see some pictures to see what im talking about

best regards...

-------------
[top]
mit Posted: 7 Aug 2020, 10:27 AM
yeah whatever

Admin
Hi,

Feel free to share some pictures, but I'm not sure I can help much beyond what I already showed in the video.

-------------
[top]
cealbe Posted: 12 Aug 2020, 01:13 AM

hey i'm so sorry for the late response! i thought that i'd recieve a mail notifiction when i get a reply in the post

here is the pictures attached

once again sorry for taking too long to reply

the epanded shell it's the one on the left

(User posted image)

here's how it's look on the back

(User posted image)

here's the shell fitted over the normal coin ( it's not a snug fit it's completely loose when the coin is shelled )
(User posted image)

this a picture of the normal coin (tail side up) and the shell it's below to make an idea on how thin the rim of the shell should be

(User posted image)

-------------
[top]
cealbe Posted: 12 Aug 2020, 11:38 PM

QUOTE (mit)
Hi,

Feel free to share some pictures, but I'm not sure I can help much beyond what I already showed in the video.

hi, i forgot to quote so anyways there's the pictures
thank you!

-------------
[top]
mit Posted: 13 Aug 2020, 05:47 PM
yeah whatever

Admin
Hi. Sorry the forum doesn't send email notifications, I should add that.

From the pictures it looks quite tricky to build that. Simply hollowing out a coin is not going to be enough.

It might be possible to produce a die, which molten silver could be cast into, to produce the enlarged coin, that could then be hollowed out.

Another option is CNC machining and hardening a punch with the scaled coin design, and stamping a silver blank.

There might be a way of taking a silicone mould of the original coin, then scaling it up slightly somehow. You would probably need to do multiple negative/positive cycles to end up with something that is bigger and can take the heat of molten metal. If it doesn't have to be silver, you could try pewter, which has a very low melting point. It might even be possible to cast pewter directly into a silicone mould.

-------------
[top]
cealbe Posted: 13 Aug 2020, 11:48 PM

QUOTE (mit)
Hi. Sorry the forum doesn't send email notifications, I should add that.

From the pictures it looks quite tricky to build that. Simply hollowing out a coin is not going to be enough.

It might be possible to produce a die, which molten silver could be cast into, to produce the enlarged coin, that could then be hollowed out.

Another option is CNC machining and hardening a punch with the scaled coin design, and stamping a silver blank.

There might be a way of taking a silicone mould of the original coin, then scaling it up slightly somehow. You would probably need to do multiple negative/positive cycles to end up with something that is bigger and can take the heat of molten metal. If it doesn't have to be silver, you could try pewter, which has a very low melting point. It might even be possible to cast pewter directly into a silicone mould.

i know for sure that there is a method (apparently secret in the magician's world) for expaning a coin . the pictures are from a real coin not a replica. you can buy all kind of american expanded coins but i need to make one from my country's currency. i dont't know if the expanding method it's before or after the hollowing of the coin

-------------
[top]
mit Posted: 14 Aug 2020, 12:47 AM
yeah whatever

Admin
Hmm, ok. There must be a way of expanding the coin without damaging the face of it then.

You could try hollowing out the coin, and then pressing it over a mandrel just slightly bigger than the hollow. This might take several goes on progressively bigger mandrels before it's expanded enough, and you would definitely want to anneal the coin between each pressing. It will be very difficult not to rip the rim, but if done carefully it might work.

Another option is to expand the coin before hollowing it out. If you put a silver coin in a hydraulic press, but sandwich it between sheets of soft metal like lead or copper, you should be able to squash the coin without ruining the design. Again you might want to do this in stages, annealing it between each go.

-------------
[top]
cealbe Posted: 14 Aug 2020, 01:39 AM

QUOTE (mit)
Hmm, ok. There must be a way of expanding the coin without damaging the face of it then.

You could try hollowing out the coin, and then pressing it over a mandrel just slightly bigger than the hollow. This might take several goes on progressively bigger mandrels before it's expanded enough, and you would definitely want to anneal the coin between each pressing. It will be very difficult not to rip the rim, but if done carefully it might work.

Another option is to expand the coin before hollowing it out. If you put a silver coin in a hydraulic press, but sandwich it between sheets of soft metal like lead or copper, you should be able to squash the coin without ruining the design. Again you might want to do this in stages, annealing it between each go.

i've thought in the first method but never on the second one. i'll tell to the machinist to try both on some inexpensive coins and if the results are good then proceed with the silver coins.

i'll post the result in a few days (if they are good)

thank you so much for the advice

-------------
[top]
mit Posted: 14 Aug 2020, 11:58 AM
yeah whatever

Admin
Be aware that silver will behave differently to other coins, I suspect the silver is a lot more ductile than modern nickel-plated steel coins.

Let me know how it goes, I'm very interested to hear the results.

-------------
[top]

Sign in to post a reply.