mitxela.com forum
Welcome. Please log in or register.

LED Matrix Earrings
enrucola Posted: 20 Feb 2024, 06:49 PM

Hi mit,

have you by any chance checked out how much the chinese manufacturers would have charged for populating the PCBs with the LEDs themselfes?

Thanks for all your work, you're more than inspiring!!

Enrico

-------------
[top]
0xRoM Posted: 20 Feb 2024, 09:59 PM

dude these earrings are SICK!

-------------
[top]
TrendMend Posted: 21 Feb 2024, 02:39 AM

Do you have any plans to release the kicad files for these? Thank you!

-------------
[top]
cnlohr Posted: 21 Feb 2024, 07:42 AM

You mentioned at the end of your video that you might want to make them reactive, I am not sure if you noticed, but there is a capacitive touch example in ch32v003fun. It's pretty straightforward, just need to use

Also, someone else noticed you can detect extremely tiny amounts of case deflection on the part 003 by measuring the difference between the 24MHz oscillator and the 128kHz oscillator in counts.

-------------
[top]
mit Posted: 21 Feb 2024, 09:30 AM
yeah whatever

Admin
QUOTE (enrucola)
have you by any chance checked out how much the chinese manufacturers would have charged for populating the PCBs with the LEDs themselfes?
Probably not an unreasonable amount, although a lot of them refuse to go as small as 0201. Another issue is the unusual board stackup with the two-layer sandwich, I'm sure they're able to do that but because it's out of the ordinary it may be a sticking point.

QUOTE (cnlohr)
Also, someone else noticed you can detect extremely tiny amounts of case deflection on the part 003 by measuring the difference between the 24MHz oscillator and the 128kHz oscillator in counts.
Ooh, that is very cool! I really like the idea of not needing to change the hardware to try that out.

-------------
[top]
Dmian Posted: 21 Feb 2024, 11:05 AM
Designer

Fantastic project and info, thank you!

I came to your channel through the USB MIDI synth, and didn't register the badge project, or knew about the Chirty-two. :D

But the info comes very handy to me. I have a project for a guitar pedal that required a 8x8 LED matrix. I started with an ATtiny85 driving a MAX7219. Both are super expensive now, and are too big for my needs.

I was thinking at making it smaller and cheaper. So, I started thinking about using an ATTiny814 (those are cheaper, and UPDI looks like a better way to program them) to drive an HT16K33A, or even an IS31FL3731. This was cheaper and smaller, and both LED driver chips have Arduino libraries by Adafruit.

Here I need to make clear that I'm not a programmer, I'm a Web Designer, but I can deal with a bit of C code, and the Arduino IDE.

But seeing this project and the Badge, I think I can adapt it to drive the LED matrix with just the CH32V00 and the code you created, right?

I need to be able to turn the screen on and off (I can use the "reset" button or the available pin for that, and the SLEEP function, I think), and I can use the draw_frame to create a mode_animation (since I don't need fast frames as in your mode_video, but can use that as a reference).
So, I'm really glad I subscribed to the YT channel and you released this project, as I discovered this chip and what you did with it, and it may be very helpful to me.

Sorry for bothering you all with the long post. Cheers!

Edit: in case you guys are curious, this is what I was doing: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cm9jThHqgTn/

Last edit by Dmian at 21 Feb 2024, 11:07 AM

-------------
https://damianvila.com
[top]
Duckers Posted: 23 Feb 2024, 02:48 PM

Love the idea! Are the PCB's all custom ordered? Cause i really wanna try making one myself. Just gotten into soldering, and heck, even if microsoldering, and if parts ain't too pricy, i can definitely try to assemble one as well to practice BIY electronics of this scale

-------------
[top]
Dmian Posted: 24 Feb 2024, 10:53 AM
Designer

Hahahaha! I wouldn't dare solder by hand anything smaller that 0805... 😝
Glad it worked out in the end.

-------------
https://damianvila.com
[top]
Zipdox Posted: 27 Feb 2024, 01:03 AM

QUOTE (mit)
Probably not an unreasonable amount, although a lot of them refuse to go as small as 0201.
JLCPCB minimum package size is 0402 for economy service and 0201 for the standard service. Minimum spacing is 0.35 for standard service. It's a bit more expensive than economy but you can have them mass produced at a cost that you can't compete with in terms of your time.
https://jlcpcb.com/capabilities/pcb-assembly-capabilities

-------------
[top]

Sign in to post a reply.