mitxela.com forum
Welcome. Please log in or register.

Kiloboot custom MAC address
angel Posted: 31 Aug 2017, 07:08 AM

Hi,

I've used the kiloboot with the latest modification of the CS pin and it works great.
Now I would like to ask if it is also possible to store the MAC in the EEPROM, like the 3 IPs. At least the last 3 bytes.

Thanks and keep it up.

-------------
[top]
mit Posted: 1 Sep 2017, 02:27 PM
yeah whatever

Admin
Hi Angel, great to hear it is working for you.

Storing the MAC in EEPROM isn't something I'd considered before. Usually the MAC address can be hard coded...

If you look through the source code for every mention of myMAC you can see it's used in quite a few places. One of them is the initialization code, which the ethernet chip uses to filter for packets addressed to it, so we'd have to remove that and load it into the chip in a separate operation. But it's also used in the prototype headers for the packets it sends, so we'd have to reshuffle the code to load the MAC into SRAM just before packets are sent.

Currently the EEPROM data is loaded into the first few registers in a single operation which is quite efficient space-wise. If we add more data to the eeprom we'd probably have to load this into another bit of SRAM instead.

Off the top of my head I can't remember if the MAC address is used as part of any checksums, but I think not.

All in all, not impossible, but a fair bit of work.

-------------
[top]
angel Posted: 4 Sep 2017, 06:33 AM

Thank you for answering so quickly,

I have a network with about 300 boards to which I want to put the kiloboot bootloader. The firmware of these boards already includes IP update by TCP and wanted to take advantage of this functionality to write the IP and MAC in the EEPROM and use it for the kiloboot.

I will keep an eye on any updates. Thank you!

-------------
[top]

Sign in to post a reply.