mitxela.com forum
Welcome. Please log in or register.

I made a thing, how do I MIDI?
Designflaw Posted: 18 Apr 2018, 10:05 PM

Hi everyone!

I'm pretty green but I am making things! Maybe it would be worth putting this out to wider-world forum, but this website and its content seems to fit perfectly!

I made a controller with an atmega32u4. I then made a mini capacative piano shield for it, but I don't know how to get the pins I have selected to be recognised and assigned to MIDI values in Arduino's IDE. I understand this is because I am not using the leonardo 'arduino' pins, but the ones I have tapped into are as follows;

I am using 12 pins; 19, 20, 21, 22, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32.

https://imgur.com/VxFrKw3

I was hoping someone could help me move forward with flashing my atmega32 as a MIDI device and help me with some code for it.

My super ambition would be to complete it so the midi comes out through the micro usb and into the attiny85 monosynth from this website. Wouldn't it be awesome!!! (I am guessing I could supply 5v through the unused ISP header)

I was following a tutorial on instructables and this is where I got the idea for my project from. https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Make-a-Cheap-Arduino-MIDI-Controller/

The end of my project would be open source with all the eagle files and maybe even a tutorial along with correct references.

If Mitxela happens to see this, Loving your stuff bro!

Thanks to anyone that can help.

(User posted image)

-------------
[top]
mit Posted: 19 Apr 2018, 05:15 PM
yeah whatever

Admin
Hi there.

I've not used the Arduino IDE, or the ATmega32u4, or made a capacitive keyboard before, but I'll try to help.

There are several ways of doing capacitive sensing, I don't know what's being used in that instructable. It may depend on hardware, and can only be used with certain pins, maybe not.

Have you managed to get the code to run on your chip at all yet, even without the capacitive buttons working?

To do the midi usb to monosynth connection, that would be cool, probably easiest to plug both of them into a raspberry pi or something. Or, you can try and configure the ATmega32u4 to behave as a USB host.

-------------
[top]
DAVID Posted: 21 Apr 2018, 02:13 AM
I love mcus

hi i´m have made a poors man midi piano out of a 2005 toy keyboard and an arduino pro micro and it work pretty well and it got al the stuff i need
37 keys
usb midi
serial midi
octave change
instrument selection
SPP bluetooth
sustain button
my code is in here if you want to check it out
https://github.com/theawsomeavr/midi-keyboard-

-------------
[top]
DAVID Posted: 21 Apr 2018, 02:22 AM
I love mcus

(User posted image)

(User posted image)

(User posted image)

(User posted image)

-------------
[top]
DAVID Posted: 22 Apr 2018, 08:59 PM
I love mcus

and for your project why you don´t use the hardware serial port of the atmega32u4?? (because for the attiny85 to be a usb host is impossible)

-------------
[top]

Sign in to post a reply.