mitxela.com forum
Welcome. Please log in or register.

GPS Clock Does not sync.
fetzler Posted: 19 May 2021, 03:41 PM

I recently purchased the GPS clock. It does NOT sync. It just counts up the time since turning the device on. All digits display something. Just dashes for the date digits.

I have tried 3 different antennas - the supplied antenna, the active antenna discussed in the instructions and a magnetic puck antenna. I placed the clock in a treeless field for 12 hours. No sync ever.

I have three Icom radios with built in GPS units. I can turn on these radios Anywhere in my house and they will have GPS sync buy the time I can open the appropriate display - less than 2 min (likely considerably less). My Android tablet also has quick acquisition.

Maybe this is one for the parts drawer.

-------------
[top]
mit Posted: 19 May 2021, 03:58 PM
yeah whatever

Admin
Sorry about that - by the sound of it the GPS module is dead. With the active antenna it usually gets a fix indoors very quickly.

There are a few reasons this might have happened, but it's probably easiest if I just post a new GPS module to you. If you send me an email I'll do that soon.

-------------
[top]
mit Posted: 21 May 2021, 11:18 AM
yeah whatever

Admin
(following email, new GPS module posted)

In future I think I'll test every single GPS module before sending them. I'll make a jig so it shouldn't take too long.

I should mention that a while back, I sent someone a replacement GPS module only to find that it didn't fix their problem, and the first GPS module was fine. It was a soldering error all along, but I jumped to conclusions that it was the GPS module at fault.

I might also add some extra info to the instructions page - the modules have a very high gain amplifier so they're going to be very sensitive to static shock. If anything killed the GPS module, it's most likely a static discharge to the antenna connector.

-------------
[top]

Sign in to post a reply.