mitxela.com forum
Welcome. Please log in or register.

electric candle and blender
ne3m Posted: 4 Dec 2023, 12:42 PM

Hi,

Please do a screen recording next time you generate the voxels for your electric candle using blender.

Thanks!

-------------
[top]
mindserfer Posted: 4 Dec 2023, 02:00 PM

Super awesome device.
some ideas:

1) LEDs on both sides of the board would balance the board in the middle.
Or two boards back to back mounted on a middle board. with one
board being a dummy.
One side would not need to light up i guess.

2) It would be super nice to have one video or even a still image
with binocular images so we can get the full 3D look.

3) spinning a whole tablet, or phone would give super high RES.
...maybe two phone back to back for balance.

4) could have two motors, on top and bottom or just an axle on top
like a lathe, to stabilize rotation. then have two handles on top
and bottom. Or a side grip connecting top and bottom like a mug handle.
Mug handle could have control buttons. start, stop, next, prev, etc.

Last edit by mindserfer at 4 Dec 2023, 02:11 PM

-------------
[top]
Sooderfed Posted: 7 Dec 2023, 06:20 AM

This was BY FAR the coolest thing I've ever seen. I'm geeking out hard. It's like witnessing the first prototype of a pseudo-hologram.
I've seen projects that use a single LED bar and spin it like a fan blade generating an image, but this takes it to a whole other level. It was so inspiring I had to see what the future of this could look like, so I showed the url to chatgpt and we collaborated on an idea.

What if you combined a snow globe with this idea?

You could have the motor in the base, the glass encasement for safety, and a semicircular LED panel in the center. The juxtaposition of a whimsical snow globe married with the technology of a handheld, volumetric display. I'd buy the shit out of something like that.

(User posted image)

-------------
[top]
mit Posted: 9 Dec 2023, 11:34 AM
yeah whatever

Admin
Without revealing too much, the snowglobe idea is something I've been working on independently. I'm using a different approach for it, one that doesn't have to deal with precession effects. Those can be significant if you want to be able to shake the think around. I also think the accelerometer would need to not be part of the spinning element, unless it was mounted in the exact centre the g-forces would saturate it.

Obviously the idea is to chuck enough processing power on there to run a fluid simulation in real time.

LEDs on both sides of the board would balance the board in the middle.
Lots of people suggesting this, but they wouldn't line up as it rotates, leaving a gap in the middle.

spinning a whole tablet, or phone would give super high RES
Even the fastest phone screens wouldn't be nearly fast enough for this, unfortunately.

-------------
[top]
gabgg Posted: 7 Jan 2024, 03:16 PM

Hey i was a little confused, what is the purpose of producing slices of the cube?

-------------
[top]
mit Posted: 8 Jan 2024, 03:31 PM
yeah whatever

Admin
QUOTE (gabgg)
Hey i was a little confused, what is the purpose of producing slices of the cube?
That's how we generate the data that needs to be displayed on the matrix as it spins. The slice spins the same way that the matrix spins.

-------------
[top]
gabgg Posted: 8 Jan 2024, 04:01 PM

QUOTE (mit)
QUOTE (gabgg)
That's how we generate the data that needs to be displayed on the matrix as it spins. The slice spins the same way that the matrix spins.
Oh so its just used as a reference? The way i understood it is that you captured the cube 24 times for each frame that it was animated

Last edit by gabgg at 8 Jan 2024, 04:37 PM

-------------
[top]
mit Posted: 10 Jan 2024, 12:22 PM
yeah whatever

Admin
QUOTE (gabgg)
QUOTE (mit)
QUOTE (gabgg)
Oh so its just used as a reference? The way i understood it is that you captured the cube 24 times for each frame that it was animated
There is a boolean modifier between the slice and the model. That generates the data to be used. Sorry I'm not sure how else I can explain it.

-------------
[top]
puter Posted: 11 Jan 2024, 02:47 PM

I am trying to see this interesting work in person, but I am not good at these things, I want to know what the parameters of the sot-23 mosfet

-------------
[top]
puter Posted: 11 Jan 2024, 03:25 PM

QUOTE (puter)
I am trying to see this interesting work in person, but I am not good at these things, I want to know what the parameters of the sot-23 mosfet
and flyback diode, thanks a lot

-------------
[top]
mit Posted: 21 Jan 2024, 11:01 AM
yeah whatever

Admin
QUOTE (puter)

Any N-channel mosfet will do. Any small signal diode is fine for the flyback, the power levels are quite low.

-------------
[top]

Sign in to post a reply.