mitxela.com forum
Welcome. Please log in or register.

diy room ventilation
todorr Posted: 9 Jul 2024, 09:49 PM

I want build a mostly recycled diy ventilation system for my room, for which i already got 6 "Papst TYP 5650 N" from a local electronics dumpster.(https://asset.conrad.com/media10/add/160267/c1/-/de/000537640DS01/datenblatt-537640-ebm-papst-4650-n-axialluefter-230-vac-160-mh-l-x-b-x-h-119-x-119-x-38-mm.pdf) Axial Ventilators. They are running on 230 Volt at 50 Herz. As far as I know, I should be able to regulate the speed at which these are spinning by putting a relay in the cable for power. Is this the case or am I having a big oversight here? If I am right about it, can i just take any relay that is rated for this voltage or should a care for a specific detail? And yes, I am aware that it is very dangerous to do stuff with mains voltage. Also I am aware that this ventilation system will most likely be terribly inefficient.

Last edit by todorr at 9 Jul 2024, 09:50 PM

-------------
[top]
mit Posted: 10 Jul 2024, 12:54 PM
yeah whatever

Admin
A relay won't let you regulate speed, it'll just be on/off.

If they're synchronous motors then you'd need a VFD to control their speed. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable-frequency_drive

As a hack you could try connecting one to a triac dimmer switch, I don't expect it to work but you might get some kind of speed control at the low end.

-------------
[top]
todorr Posted: 11 Jul 2024, 01:01 PM

thanks for the reply, i also see now that I wont be able to regulate speed of these fans. I am now just trying to control them with esphome and homeasisstant, and I am thinking about getting 2 4x solid state relay boards of aliexpress to control them. As far as I understand the only difference between a normal relay and solid state relays is that the ssrelays have a longer lifetime. Is this assumption correct or do I also have an oversight there.

-------------
[top]
transistorseverywhere Posted: 2 Aug 2024, 08:00 PM

You could use a 555 and a solid state relay to controll the Fan speed, although this isn't very efficient it will work for low power applications such as controlling a small fan.

-------------
electrode welding with nails
[top]

Sign in to post a reply.