mitxela.com forum
Welcome. Please log in or register.

Converted RN42 not responding
Jabberwock Posted: 2 Oct 2017, 10:09 PM

I have an odd problem: I have followed your guide and it seems I was successful in loading the RN42 firmware on a HC-05. BlueFlash verifies that the firmware has been transferred correctly, I make the relevant changes to the frequency settings etc.

The problem is that the chip never enters the command mode, in fact it does not respond at all over the serial connection. I have tried both the FTDI module and an Arduino as a serial sender/receiver, but nothing works... A Google search indicates that I am not the only one with such a problem, however, no solutions were given.

I have tried it on two modules from two vendors, with two different RN42 firmware images.

-------------
[top]
mit Posted: 3 Oct 2017, 08:59 AM
yeah whatever

Admin
This is a pretty difficult one to debug. If the firmware image was not ripped directly from a RN42 device by you, then there's always the possibility it's not a valid image in some way...

But first thing to check is that the serial connection is working - try connecting the RX and TX pins of the serial cable together, without anything else attached, and see if the characters you type appear on your console.

Then, check the baud rate is correct, check wiring connections between serial and the module, try again.

Last edit by mit at 3 Oct 2017, 09:00 AM

-------------
[top]
Jabberwock Posted: 3 Oct 2017, 03:18 PM

The serial connection seems to be fine... While it seems the firmware is written correctly on the chip (I can verify it with BlueFlash without problems), it is not visible as a Bluetooth device. What is worse, I have reflashed HC-05 dump just to check whether it works and it does not either, so something must be broken.

-------------
[top]
mit Posted: 3 Oct 2017, 11:28 PM
yeah whatever

Admin
That certainly sounds a bit disconcerting. You flashed it back to HC05, was that dumped from it by you? Did you do the psr file as well? Did the HC05 work before you started any of this? It might be that it's somehow gotten fried.

-------------
[top]
Jabberwock Posted: 4 Oct 2017, 07:29 AM

Yes, it seems something broke, maybe I fried some part of it by mistake. I do not think I want to waste more of my time or anyone else's with that.

-------------
[top]

Sign in to post a reply.