mitxela.com forum
Welcome. Please log in or register.

Acquiring a Mini Pitchbend Joystick
tbly Posted: 6 Jan 2019, 06:30 PM

Greetings.

I'm curious if there's anywhere I could purchase a mini pitchbend joystick.

You mention in the video alternative uses: I'm hoping to affix it to my keyboard so as to allow for analog input to games.

I prefer using the keyboard and mouse setup for gaming, so moving to a controller isn't high on my list of priorities. There's one analog keyboard out there (see Wooting), with a few more coming (see Cooler Master MK850), but as it stands, something simple like the mini joystick would be perfect. I'm picturing mounting it underneath my spacebar so I can "drive" with my thumb in situations where analog control is required.

Honestly, I'd be surprised if there wasn't a reasonably large market for something similar for folks who want analog control in games but don't want to move to a controller (or a $150+ keyboard).

Cheers,

Gareth

-------------
[top]
DAVID Posted: 7 Jan 2019, 06:55 AM
I love mcus

first of all, you need to know if the game that you are playing supports analog input such as a game pad, that could be easy done through V USB, if not well i think it would be pointless to do it

-------------
[top]
DAVID Posted: 7 Jan 2019, 06:57 AM
I love mcus

but if you want to analog output as a keyboard using V USB or native usb (like in the popular atmega32u4 MCU) you might have to do a research

Last edit by DAVID at 7 Jan 2019, 06:58 AM

-------------
[top]
mit Posted: 7 Jan 2019, 06:10 PM
yeah whatever

Admin
QUOTE (tbly)
I'm curious if there's anywhere I could purchase a mini pitchbend joystick.

I think the original batch I made for Brendan is all sold out now. If there's enough interest we might do another batch, but probably not.

In your use case it wouldn't be a finished solution, as really you'd want to write new firmware for it that makes it act as a USB joypad, instead of a MIDI device. That's not too hard to do.

Alternatively, you could write some intercepting software (glovePIE, autohotkey, python etc) to interpret the MIDI data and turn it into joypad events, but the result would not be as good.

The tiny joystick itself is a replacement part for a PSP, you can buy these quite cheaply (it's why I chose it). Hook it up to a microcontroller or something and you should be able to get a satisfactory result.

-------------
[top]

Sign in to post a reply.