mitxela.com forum
Welcome. Please log in or register.

A quiz
mit Posted: 29 Oct 2020, 04:46 PM
yeah whatever

Admin
One of the boring, low-priority but technically necessary tasks I've been putting off for years is to give all the images on mitxela.com alternate text. This is important for screen readers and situations where the images can't be loaded.

(The specification says every image must have an alt text, but to suppress the validator warnings, I did what most people do, which is set them all explicitly to be empty. This is only supposed to be allowed if the image is purely decorative.)

Right now there are over 1800 images on the mitxela project pages. To solve the problem I made a program that loads up a random image, and asks me to type in its description.

It took many hours. Funnily enough, it was a fairly relaxing process, kind of like a mitxela quiz.

Inspired, I decided to make a mitxela quiz. You can play it here: https://mitxela.com/other/quiz/

The questions are randomized and get harder if you're doing well.

Anyway, thank god the alt text stuff is out the way, now on to the important stuff...

Last edit by mit at 31 Oct 2020, 11:29 AM

-------------
[top]
DAVID Posted: 30 Oct 2020, 08:20 PM
I love mcus

There is a typo in the url, you forgot the other t. I gave it a shot and at my first try I got a score of 9/10 and at my second attempt 10/10. I don´t know how to feel about that.

Last edit by DAVID at 30 Oct 2020, 08:21 PM

-------------
[top]
mit Posted: 31 Oct 2020, 11:32 AM
yeah whatever

Admin
Oh snap! You're right.

Not only did you get a perfect score on the quiz, you spotted the mistake in the URL, which is like an extra mark. 11/10.

I find the "what year is this from" questions really hard to get right.

-------------
[top]
Hapiel Posted: 30 Oct 2021, 03:15 PM

4/10. I guess I should stroll around your website some more..

How did you sort the questions by difficulty?

EDIT: I thought I responded to an active thread, but only now see it was from last year, oops!

Last edit by Hapiel at 30 Oct 2021, 03:17 PM

-------------
[top]
mit Posted: 30 Oct 2021, 04:39 PM
yeah whatever

Admin
Welcome, and no worries, this forum isn't exactly a hive of activity.

The quiz difficulty is actually mostly random. But the higher your score, the more likely it is to ask "what year?" questions.

-------------
[top]

Sign in to post a reply.